On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 12:59:32PM +0200, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> >To generalize it a bit more, there could be also a case of a PPS that
> >is not locked in phase and a case of a PPS that's not even locked in
> >frequency. When only a source with poor short-term stability is
> >available, I think it would be pretty cool if it could be combined
> >with a PPS derived from a cheap TCXO. Doing this in ntpd could be
> >tricky however.
>
> Hm, I maybe I don't understand correctly what you mean.
>
> You want to use a PPS signal without proper phase and frequency, and then
> use *in addition* another PPS derived from a TCXO?

I meant to use a PPS signal from an external undisciplined *XO to
stabilize the system clock. The driver would track the phase and
frequency offsets against other sources or the system clock over a
longer interval and use that to correct the samples before normal
processing.

I think this could be useful with jittery sources (e.g. NTP) or
reference clocks that don't have their own stabilized oscillator.

--
Miroslav Lichvar