Phil W Lee wrote:
Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de> considered Fri, 05 Dec
2014 14:15:31 +0100 the perfect time to write:
You may run into problems if your WAN connection has asymmetric delays,
and thus to 2 servers on the WAN *seem* to have the same offset which
differs from the offset provided by the 2 servers on the local network.

Martin

In a multi-site business, I would set up two on each site, and have
each site using the two local ones and two from different remote
sites, which should guard against asymmetry on either one of the WAN
links to other sites.

If the connection from your local site to the internet has the asymmetry then *each* NTP server at a remote site has the same additional systematic offset, so if you use more than 2 they can overvote your local NTP servers.

One of our customers had such a case, and I've explained this in more detail in another thread recently.

Martin