Harlan Stenn wrote:
Martin Burnicki writes:
Rob wrote:
Unfortunately, the same mechanism isn't used for leap seconds.
There would be no problem at all when the system time ticked in TAI
and the addition of the leap seconds is done via some rule table similar
to the local time rules.  ntpd would not even be involved in the problem.

Also agreed. However, actually ntpd expects UTC, not TAI.

One of the things I'm thinking about for NTP5 is systems that choose to
run in TAI and not UTC.  This is a natural tie-in with NTF's General
Timestamp API, as we need to know what timescale the remote system is
using.

Of course. However, you would anyway need the current rules or algorithms required to do the conversion.

This woud also handle the case of maintaining sync with a system that
chooses to implement Google's leap smear,

Do you know the *exact* algorithm how Google smears a leap second? If you don't know it there will be differences in the time computed by standard ntpd v5 and Google's. ;-)

Martin