Terje Mathisen <terje.mathi...@tmsw.no> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> Terje Mathisen <terje.mathi...@tmsw.no> wrote:
>>> http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-fanless-mini-pc-runs-linux-on-quad-core-amd-soc/
>>>
>>> This little guy starts at $129 and includes a serial port which should
>>> make it trivial to attach a Sure GPS board.
>>>
>>> With a dual or quad 64-bit CPU, both SATA and SD storage connectors and
>>> versions that support multiple Gbit/s Ethernet ports, it would seem to
>>> be a nice NTPD startum 1 server.
>>
>> First I would verify if it really runs to microsecond accuracy, at least
>> when you require that.  My experience with small computers running NTP
>> synced to PPS that they have a tendency to be 1-3 magnitudes worse at
>> timing stability, probably because of the lack of a sufficiently fast
>> and accurate timing counter.
>
> Did you check the link?
>
> This is a full 64-bit dual/quad core x86-64 PC!

Yes I did.  That is why I wrote "First I would verify", because in this
case it could well be better than the ATOM or ARM CPU often present on
small boards.

>> Of course, it could still be good enough when you want to use it as a
>> network time server.  It wasn't good enough for my co-channeling software
>> that requires the clock to be accurate within a few microseconds.
>> Intel CPU driven 64-bit PC systems have no problem with that.
>
> AMD instead of Intel, but yes.

Connect a GPS, install ntpd-4.2.8 and see if you can get those 0.000xx
values for offset and jitter...   when yes, it would certainly be attractive
for use in our project as well.