William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> writes:

>General relativity assures us that time exists and is measured by a
>metric. Take that metric and define a proper time say at the center of
>the earth. Now one can ask whether TAI or UTC is a function of that
>time.

As Mike points out, you've subtracted things in a way that doesn't
really make sense to make this argument. Warner Losch has a good
way of describing this as "variable radix". For example, we don't
describe the calendar as discontinuous, because months have 28, 29,
30 or 31 days.  If you "subtract" Feb 27th from Mar 3rd, you need to
know if it is a leap leap year, rather than say the answer is 7
days by assume all months have 31 days because most months do.

My personal way of viewing the topology of the space labels, is
that some second labels have multiple possible successor labels,
and the leap seconds look like little loops around which UTC may
or may not pass.

        David.