On 01/23/2015 08:03 PM, schmidt.r...@gmail.com wrote:
> The US will soon be considering a means for dissemination of delta T via NTP

Does that read "there's *several* teams working on NTPv5 and not
communicating with each other right now" ... ?

> The ITU has just met in Geneva and discussed the future of leap seconds.
> The US is in favor of dropping them, the Brits are in favor of keeping
> the tradition of leap seconds, [...]

Leap seconds are an artefact of a) rotation of Earth (which is ever
slowing down because of mechanisms that nothing short of pointing a
giant disintegrator ray at the Moon can stop, on top of the uncertainty
reflected in the unpredictability of current leap seconds), b) the
precision we have achieved in measuring - supposedly immutable -
physical time, and c) a desire to have time represented in a way that
alludes to the traditional "apparent position of the Sun right where I
stand (on the surface of the Earth)" notion. You can quantize and/or
distribute "leap seconds" in a different way, but you can NOT "drop
them" short of kissing one of these three basics goodbye.

(If you read through the comments ITU received along with the votes when
they put up the poll, you will notice that a great many "abolish leap
seconds" voters proposed schemes that actually do *not* *abolish* the
concept of leaps but merely distribute the corrections differently, from
infinitesimal leaps to the exceedingly rare leap minute.)

Regards,
                                                                J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel