Greetings, I have a need to compile 4.2.8 for windows, and I'm having some
problems and have questions.  I have followed documents like the hints.html
linked off ntp.org.

Does the source tarball on the front page of ntp.org/downloads[1] actually
compile on windows unmodified? I am perusing the list and see comments on the
"NTP for Windows Not Branded" thread that refer to certain modifications
required to get ntp to compile under windows, additional files or tweaks to .h
and project files.  Are these modifications documented elsewhere or is there an
[official] ntp.org download of a patch to apply these fixes?

Also, what version of visual studio is preferred for compiling ntp lately? I've
seen some comments that the Visual Studio 2013 may not be a complete feature
yet, but again the comments in the "NTP for Windows Not Branded" thread
indicate that 2013 is currently in use.  I'd kind of prefer 2008 since that's
what I happen to have in my environment already, especially if that version of
the build is considered more stable.

[1] http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.8.tar.gz