On Feb 20, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Nuno Pereira <nuno.pere...@g9telecom.pt> wrote:
> In our infrastructure we had some ntp clients that don't have access to the
> world and so they are configured to use only 2 servers (by the way, the other
> have 2 more options). In reality both servers are the same, but with different
> IPs.

I think ntpd would see the same reference id for that timesource regardless
of which IP you reach it by, and loop detection would figure it out.

[ ... ]
> Given that, I have changed the configuration, and now they only use 1 server,
> but that is not a good solution.

Using 1 server is better than using 2.
Using at least 4 servers is better than using 1.

> Any alternative for the configuration? More servers, most likely virtual
> servers?

VMs make anywhere from terrible to adequate timeservers.
Bare metal or at the hypervisor level is preferable.

Setup a local NTP subnet of at least 4 peers, and have your clients talk to
each of those.
Your chosen ntp servers should each be configured with at least one unique
timesource
which is not used by anything else to promote diversity.

Regards,
--
-Chuck