On 2015-02-21, David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 20/02/2015 20:22, William Unruh wrote:
> []
>> No. The local clock simply trusts the time (Ie all offsets are defined
>> to be zero) chrony takes the time as entered by hand by the operator and
>> uses that to determine the offset. Of course that will not be terribly
>> accurate ( a second is probably good), but if you are disconnected for a
>> month, a second is probably pretty good accuracy.
>
> In practice, how does that differ from orphan mode?  I think that
> statement on behalf of chrony needs to be clarified as it may be misleading.

orphan mode is about a group of computers. "Orphan Mode allows a group
of ntpd processes to automonously select a leader in the event that all
real time sources become unreachable (i.e. are inaccessible)."

chrony's is that you can enter the time by hand (Ie, by typing a current
time and hitting enter) on a single machine.  You are the "remote clock". Now,
how useful that
is now adays is open to question, but in the past with telephone modems
and flaky connections it was worth something. And if you are setting up
something on the Hebrides or on a buoy in the Atlantic where no
connection of anykind is possible, it could be useful.
Ie, it IS different from orphan mode.