Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I did have just one line "pool uk.pool.ntp.org" but the rogue
>>
>>Did I write "pool uk.pool.ntp.org"?  I don't think so...
>
> No, you didn't. Did I say that you did? It is what I had in my
> ntp.conf.

That is why I suggested you change that.
The region-specific codes are a leftover from the early days.
Later, a geo-aware DNS was added and this is no longer required.

>>> server didn't get dropped even after 27 hours. I included the
>>> "uk" to try to make sure that the servers were as local as
>>> possible. Without that they could be anywhere in Europe.
>>
>>No, the "pool.ntp.org" name selects the closests servers.
>>Close enough when you consider the pool good enough.
>
> Experience tells me that IP addresses are selected on a regional
> basis, not a country basis. Sometimes they are all in the UK,
> but not always. For example, earlier today one of the servers
> that was offered using pool.ntp.org was in Hungary. Putting the
> country code in makes it more likely that the IP addresses are
> local.

But why do you worry?
It does not matter if they are in the UK or Hungary.
It would matter if they are in Brazil or in Australia, but that is
not what is happening.
It looks like you have created your own problem.