On 07/03/2015 12:41, Neil Green wrote:
In an attempt to squeeze all I can out of a NTP and GPS/PPS setup on the
Raspberry Pi 2 I’m starting to experiment with compile flags using GCC 4.8.
Currently I have:

CC="gcc-4.8" CFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" ./configure
--enable-NMEA --enable-ATOM --enable-linuxcaps --disable-all-clocks --disable-parse-clocks
--disable-ipv6

Will attempting to optimise the build like this have any positive impact on NTP
in terms of precision, stability etc, or am I focussing on an area that will
have no benefit?

Thanks,
Neil.

Neil,

From my limited experience, improving stability etc. is best done by tuning the NTP parameters, keeping the temperature as constant as possible, and if you have a PPS source disabling the tickless mode in the kernel.

If you are compiling a lot, "make -j5" speeds things up. "--enable-linuxcaps" appear to be unnecessary, and I've not done any comparisons by enabling or disabling different clocks, but anything to reduce the ./configure time would be extremely welcome.

I would be most interested to hear of your results.

Web: http://www.satsignal.eu