"Kashif Mumtaz Tahir" writes:
> Hello Folks,
> Currently we have NTP server ntp-4.2.4p8 provided by Redhat RPM on RHEL 6.
>
> We want to upgrade it either by RedHat Provided latest RPM package (
> ntp-4.2.6p5 ) or by installing from source compile ( ntp-4.2.8p1 ).

I vote for 4.2.8.

> We tested both upgrade ( on test machine of course) and facing the issue
> that when we do install ntp-4.2.8p1 package from source , ntpdc commands are
> not working. Below is the output
>
> Code:
>
> # ntpdc
> ntpdc> monlist
> localhost: timed out, nothing received
> ***Request timed out
> ntpdc>

ntpdc (mode 7) packets have been disabled by default.  Better to use
ntpq (mode6) requests.

See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate .

You *can* re-enable mode7 packets.  I recommend against this.  If you
must re-enable mode87 packets, please be *very* careful with your
'restrict' options.