On 8/09/2015 5:44 pm, Gabs Ricalde wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Paul J R <m...@pjr.cc> wrote:
Hi All,

Thought I might share my experiences. Got given a little AR9331 based router
some months ago (gl.inet 6416a) and spun up pps on one of its gpio lines.
Its been running for about 2 months and so far the performance of it has
been quite impressive from a client perspective. Havent seen many references
to anyone using an Atheros chipset for pps and ntp so far but im curious if
anyone else has had any experiences?

Regards, Paul

I've been running two devices (TPLink WR703N, MR3020) for more than 2
years with almost no issue. Also impressed on what these devices could
do. Does the new OpenWRT versions have the PPS driver for AR9331? I had
to use this for Attitude Adjustment:
https://code.google.com/p/openwrt-stratum1/

The GL.iNet looks like it's made for hacking, wish it's sold locally.

Yeah, i did stumble onto the code on the google, but i ended up writing a new driver myself as that one was polling based.

There was a patch (https://github.com/GBert/openwrt-misc/tree/master/gpio-test/src) which adds interrupt based gpio support, so i wrote a patch to add pps-gpio on top of that (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49959760/970-pps-gpio-ar9331.patch). Its an openwrt patch specifically for the gl.inet board, but the code is pretty straight forward (though a bit messy) and should work on any ar9331 based box. It'll work on 14.07 and above (though i've only tested compiling it against 14.07 and the current trunk code)

I've also tested it with a som9331 openembed board and it seems to work quite well on that as well.

Not sure what locally would be for you, but if your in the US, there is a 1-day shipping option (i believe) for that particular box on amazon.

To give an idea on size though (which is perhaps what impressed me most), here it is next to an RPI2 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49959760/IMG_20150904_014715_w.jpg and im very tempted to make a little waterproof box for it, a poe splitter and stick it to the roof somewhere as the components i've looked at in it all have fairly extreme environment ratings.