On 2015-12-24 13:43, Leon McCalla wrote:
I have a globalsat BU-353-S4 GPS receiver that I would lie to use as a source
for NTPd.  When looking at the messages that it produces, unlike the periodic
messages I would expect every second, I get messages in bursts of threes
followed by a pause. If the face of an analog clock represented a 3 second
window I receive messages at 12,1,4,8.
One option is to use the UTC messages as an estimate to set the clock initially
then NEVER use the gps again but this defeats the purpose of using a GPS for
NTPd.  My alternative is to try to find some stability in the madness before
subjecting NTPd to these seemingly unstable messages.
looking at the messages in detail, I can see that a GPGBS message is produced
in the middle of the burst and based on wireshark messages, this single message
appears every 3.000 seconds. While this is not every second as a traditional
PPS message is expected, I would like to see if NTPd can work with something
less frequent but highly stable.
how do I compile a custom driver to read NMEA messages that are not part of the
default NMEA driver? The GPGBS message looks like this...
http://www.trimble.com/OEM_ReceiverHelp/V4.44/en/NMEA-0183messages_GBS.html
PS if im going crazy for no reason and NTPd is capable of working with this
garbage please let me know.

Uses a Sirf Star IV chipset which can send NMEA or Motorola Oncore-like binary
messages.
Details or URLs for docs should be on the included CD.
Can be reconfigured using (probably Windows) utility, proprietary manual
commands via a terminal comm program e.g. PuTTY, or a program which can talk to
Oncore-like binary protocol devices.

Increasing baud rate from NMEA default 4800 to 9600 improves jitter, but USB
devices are intended for positioning applications, not timing, as USB comms
adds microseconds of jitter, and provides no PPS signal.

Normal timing setup is to have the device send only one NMEA GPRMC message at
1s interval, and tweak driver fudge time1 until offset measured against other
sources averages around zero.

If you can get it set up to behave like an Oncore-like device, you may be able
to use the Oncore driver.