Ntp is the standard for Internet (WAN) time. With all its filters and fancy
math calculations, it shouldn't be too difficult to add 1588 IEEE operations on
the LAN. I know the protocols for exchanging the data is different but the
principles are very similar.

Any thoughts on merging the two? In the ntp.conf file we could do something
like "server bigben.local ptp" or "broadcast ptp" where ptp is the new argument
to enable 1588 compliance on the LAN segment.

Just conversation. Im not a programmer and i cant afford to pay anyone.

Leon