Pearly,

thanks for your suggestion I investigate adjtimex.

We started down this road of 'reference clock syncing to Linux system
time' a while back by basically looking at ref time and system time
every few secs (I think it was 10secs) and calculating the tick and freq
fields of the adjtimex structure ourselves and then calling adjtimex.
This seemed to work OK, I think we were able to adjust both tick and
freq by very small amounts and see system time apparently adjust.

I then convinced myself that doing it in a home grown fashion was not a
good idea and that since the world uses ntp, we should do so also.

So, my hunch is that adjtimex can be adjusted with very small
adjustments, but whether it can work as used by ntpd I shall have to
investigate some more.

BTW, I just updated by daemon to read EVERY PPS, and to write clock time
and Linux time into the SHM once per second, thinking that ntpd might
work differently if it saw 'more samples' in the shm segment. This
resulted in NO apparent change in the final result, still ~26ms.

Stuart