On 2017-01-02 05:40, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

>> Add preempt to pool statements to drop unselected servers and
>> acquire new servers to maintain a majority clique - see below.
>
> Does the preempt option actually do anything in the pool directive?
> I thought servers added from pool are always "preemptable".

I think they may be treated as ephemeral associations but require
the option to be dropped rather than kept around as falsetickers.

>> Keep it odd - tos maxclock 5 - for sync, majority clique requires
>> truechimers *>* falsetickers - truechimers == falsetickers is
>> *unsynced* - 5 allows 2 servers "off" in some way at the same time
>> (e.g. during weekend maintenance windows when servers often drop
>> out - YMMV) see http://doc.ntp.org/current-stable/select.html .
>
> Is it common to get two falsetickers at the same time?

Not common, but it happens fairly regularly, mainly weekends,
especially long weekends, when maintenance seems to get done and
servers become unavailable for a few hours or days; and any time
there is a major network issue, as when there were problems with
US West across the NW US, and during DDoS attacks.
Sometimes a source just goes off the rails, so it's good to have
a buffer against another source dropping out, while looking around
for an good alternative source.