Hi all,

On 01/23/2017 05:43 PM, Lloyd Dizon wrote:
> Hi.
> See below.
>
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceule...@computer.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 23/01/17 12:25, Lloyd Dizon wrote:
>>> I've installed a GPS module on a Raspberry Pi and I'm getting 1000ms
>>> offsets between the GPS readings and network NTPs.
>>
>> Could you show us the relevant extracts from your ntp.conf file related
>> to the GPS source? That is: at least the server line and any fudge lines?
>>

> enable mode7
>
> # Local
> #server 127.127.1.0
> #fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>
> # GPS with PPS enabled
> server 127.127.20.0 mode 17 minpoll 6 maxpoll 6 iburst true prefer
> fudge 127.127.20.0 time1 1 flag1 1 refid GPS

Why do you add one full second time correction to the time PPS stamp?

I admit that having the output of ntpq in millisecs and the config vaues
in seconds is confusing, but 'time1 1' adds a full second to the PPS
time stamp. This shouldn't be needed -- PPS delay correction is in the
sub-millisecond range if it's used at all.

If you have problems with a huge delay between PPS and your first NMEA
sentence of a new burst, use fudge time2 (!!) to compensate for that.
This can just lead to assigning a wrong second to the PPS value, see

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNMEARefclocks
https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringGarminRefclocks
http://doc.ntp.org/current-stable/drivers/driver20.html

I'm using a GPS18x-LVC with the following settings:

server 127.127.20.0 mode 33 noselect minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
fudge 127.127.20.0 flag1 1 time2 0.51 refid GPSc

Note the time2 offset of 510msec that I need to get the NMEA data stream
aligned with the PPS signal. If I don't do this, I end up with the wrong
second assigned to the PPS signal, too.