On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:11:30PM +0000, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Thanks. I agree that the appliance doesn’t appear to exist. It’s a shame that
> it doesn’t, I think it would be a good idea.
>
> The 50 msec isn’t that hard to reach on an average basis, but we routinely
> see drifts away from that on occasions. The minpoll idea would probably fix
> this, but was hesitant to poll that frequently. I just found NIST’s NTP page
> and they specify to not poll more frequently that every 4 seconds (minpoll
> 2). I wouldn’t have thought that they would want polling with minpoll 3, but
> it appears I was wrong. This may fix the issue by itself.

Using such a short polling interval over Internet would be a horrible
idea. NIST servers are overloaded and located in a network that has
problems with asymmetric routing. It's better to avoid them if
accuracy is a requirement. I thought you were using those stratum-1
servers you have and the requirement for accuracy was 10 or 100
microseconds, not milliseconds.

Anything should do better than 50 milliseconds as long as it's on
local network.

--
Miroslav Lichvar