Hello:

> I'm dreaming of some FPGA hardware on a PCIe board at an affordable
price...

Have you seen these?  None are on a PCIe board, but they do have GPS, a
timing crystal, and a PPS signal.

LeoNTP Networked Time NTP Server; Price: 300.00GBP

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info
<http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&pr
oducts_id=272> &cPath=120&products_id=272

GPSDO GPS Disciplined Oscillator Clock NTP Time Server

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPSDO-GPS-Disciplined-Oscillator-Clock-NTP-Time-Ser
ver-without-IRIG-B-AC-Code/124253295400?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPL
ICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225074%26meid%3D65bb838564cd4d1f841f71471cd16c9
3%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D124133795048%26itm%3D12425329540
0%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2%26
brand%3DUnbranded
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPSDO-GPS-Disciplined-Oscillator-Clock-NTP-Time-Se
rver-without-IRIG-B-AC-Code/124253295400?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSP
LICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225074%26meid%3D65bb838564cd4d1f841f71471cd16c
93%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D124133795048%26itm%3D1242532954
00%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2%2
6brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219>
&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

There are several on this page that range in price from $155 to $219 USD.

Right now I am seeing 1-4 usec jitter from a combination of a PPS signal
from an American-made GPS device by Time Machines and a Chinese device from
JinnUSR advertised as "Network Time Server NTP Server for GPS Beidou GLONASS
Galileo QZSS Desktop tpUS," that serves as the system clock and gives the
second.  All this is with the serial PPS DLL supplied by Meinberg.  I do
have the GPS antennas at the end of a ladder that stretches 1/2 way to the
second floor roof of the house.  It is common to have 7-9 satellites in a
fix at one time, which hugely  improves position and perhaps time accuracy.

Any success I have had with the GPS is due to Misra, P. and P. Enge (2012).
Global Positioning System: Signals, Measurements and Performance. Lincoln,
Massachusetts, USA, Ganga-Jamuna Press.  Read a little bit, make a few
changes, and better performance results.

You might note that with the above GPS devices requiring 3-4 Watts, there is
no way that a PC is an economical time server over the long run.

Charles Elliott