Hello:
        With GPS clocks that offer sub-millisecond accuracy and seem of last
for months, so far, available for sale
on eBay for less than $100, and without trying to be disparaging, your
suggestion seems to be a solution in search of a
problem.  This is a cost-benefit situation.  NTPD is a large and complex
program.  It would take many man-hours to
make the change you suggest.  Yet, you are the first and only person to
notice this problem.  To see what I mean,
look at the page here: https://www.nwtime.org/support.

        In any case, this is not the venue to offer your suggestion.  If you
want to be sure your suggestion receives
the attention it deserves, then consider filing a formal enhancement request
here:
https://bugs.ntp.org/index.cgi.  Click on "File a Bug," create a free
Bugzilla account if you don't have one, login,
click on ntp on the next page, select Enhancement in the severity box of the
form that appears, and copy-and-paste
your suggestion into the description section.

        Thank you for your time and effort.  Without suggestions for
improvement, NTPD would never become
a better program.

Charles Elliott