Hi,

Todd Sampson wrote:
Hi,
We have an NTP server running on an embedded device that uses IRIG for its time
source.  The problem is that if the embedded device boots without an IRIG
source, its time is 1970.  When a computer asks our embedded device for the
time, the computer's time is set to 1970.  This causes various services to
refuse to work.

Is it possible to set something in the computer's ntp configuration to reject
time if it's less than the year 2020 or something similar so that the bogus
1970 time is not believed?

The normal behavior of the server should be that it doesn't claim to be synchronized as long as its time source (the IRIG time code, in this case) is not available. This means the server should be visible with leap bits '3' (11 binary), and stratum 16 in this case.

The normal behavior of an NTP client is that it accepts a time source only if the time source claims to be synchronized to "something".

So your client should not accept your server if the server is unable to synchronize to an incoming time code.

Which NTP software is running on the server, and which on the client(s)?

Martin