On 6/23/21 10:26 AM, Jim Pennino wrote:
It seems that any server in ntp.conf that is specified as a name, as
the pool servers are, will after a sufficiently long DNS outage just
disappear and not come back after the outage without restarting ntp.

It would seem to me that ntp should only need to do a DNS lookup on
startup and from then on continue to use the address found.

But that is not how ntp works.

No, you shouldn't assume that once you have an IP address you can decide to use it forever. The owner of any server has the right to change the DNS entry used to point to a different server. We have had no end of problems with clients bombarding an IP address with packets long after it has stopped serving time.

If you have a DNS issue then you should address that. ntpd should pick up new addresses if one is available. If it doesn't do that please file a bug report.

Danny