Hi Nico,

On 26/10/22 10:04, Nicolas Kuhn wrote:
Dear François, all,

Thank you for this document. This is very important for the lossy-GEO-satellite scenario, so thank you!

I have some questions/comments on the document :
- Taxonomy : you may want to refer to RFC8406 on the taxonomy related to coding
- On the coding channel :
   "A coding channel can be seen as a
    communication channel between a QUIC receiver and a FEC decoder."
   => This is in contradiction with the notion proposed in RFC 9265.
  I think that the coding channel should be seen between the FEC-coder and the FEC-decoder.

True, I should avoid those ambiguities. :-)

- The notion of APP_DATA in Figure 1 is not clear to me. IMHO the presentation on this should be improved.

I've put APP_DATA to represent any data sent by applications transiting
through streams or datagrams. We sould find a way to make it easy to
understand that the APP_DATA are part of the source symbols.

- On DATAGRAMS : I agree that if a solution can also protect DATAGRAMS, this could help in lossy scenarios
- "In this document,
    we propose to consider whole frames as part of the source symbols."
  => This is important and should be highlighted in the document. It may be worth expliciting what is meant by "whole frames" and maybe provide examples. - Alternative 1 vs Alternative 2 : alternative 2 has an impact on the QUIC packet scheduler. For this reason, I am not sure whether it is relevant.

(+Sam that might be interested as we had similar discussions on another
mail loop)
I also prefer a bit the concepts behind Alternative 1 but it may seem
harder to implement than Alternative 2 and introduces the concept of
wrapped frames that may be puzzling too. I guess time and implementations
may tell us which alternative is the best with running code.

I hope this helps,

This helps ! Thank you for your comments.

Franz

Kind regards,

Nicolas