Please don't mix two separate issues, Header Protection and mixing of the DCID sequence number in the IV when doing multipath. The latter is for ensuring the uniqueness of the nonce when using separate number spaces for each path. It does make hardware offload more complex, but not in the same way as Header Protection.

We did discuss the impact of adding 32 more bits in the IV on hardware encryption last year, before deciding to abandon the "simple multipath" option and go for the "number space per DCID" option. At the time, the impact on hardware encryption was considered manageable.

-- Christian Huitema