On 31/03/2023 00:39, Christian Huitema wrote:
We may also lift the requirement that all server initial packets be padded to 1200 bytes, which would allow for better use of the amplification budget. But that's for QUIC v3...

Do we really need to pad all server initial packets to 1200 bytes? As far as I can tell, RFC 9000 14.1 says:

Similarly, a server MUST expand the payload of all UDP datagrams carrying ack-eliciting Initial packets to at least the smallest allowed maximum datagram size of 1200 bytes.

A server Initial containing just the ACK is not ACK-eliciting, or is it?

On the other hand, I understand that large server Initials verify that the path supports >1200 bytes, which is also a QUIC requirement.

Cheers,

  Marcin