Hi Ted,

On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:40:08PM +0100, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 6:18 PM Ryan Hamilton <rch=
> 40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Watson. There are plenty of alternative TLS libraries out
> > there which support complete QUIC functionality. I work on Chrome and
> > Envoy, which both use BoringSSL successfully, for example. My experience
> > with QUIC performance on the web suggests that 0-RTT is critical for making
> > QUIC perform as well as it does. I would hate to see 0-RTT-less QUIC used
> > widely when there are compelling alternatives that are full featured.
> >

> I agree with Ryan that 0-RTT is a key part of QUIC's ability to perform as
> well as it does, and that using a library without that functionality is
> going to be problematic in real-world situations.

Thanks, that's exactly the type of opinion I'm interested in.

> I am also concerned that a patch approach like this might not work well for
> either connection migration or the eventual use of multipath QUIC.

I'm not really seeing why, but there may be technical limitations that
I do not understand.

> I appreciate Willy drawing the attention of the group to the existence of
> this patch and to the efforts to see if it is workable in other contexts.
> But I think it goes beyond ossification; this results in the amputation of
> deployed functionality.   I cannot see any reason to recommend it.

That's what I mentioned in the other part of the thread, some of our
users are actively asking for it and feeling frustrated not to have a
well packaged solution provided by default with full support from their
distro as they're used to. It does count as well for us to try to
respond to them better. Of course if the result is pitiful and unreliable
there's no point in doing it, but at this point I don't know, as we didn't
have feedback yet for not having merged it. We also envisioned the option
of integrating it for now in the development branch and deciding later
based on their feedback whether we keep it till the release or drop it.

There's really no good solution for now :-(

Thanks,
Willy