On Tue, 14 Nov 2023, 20:19 Damien Neil, <dn...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 12:01 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.2...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not?
>>

> I think what I wanted to say is that you don't want to require every qlog
> consumer to have both a QUIC wire protocol frame parser and a qlog event
> Frame parser. Frames  in qlog should be either structured objects (in
> practice, JSON objects) or QUIC wire bytes, but not a mix of both.

Thats a clean design but it doesn't fly when a logger can read a wire
format type it doesn't understand at all and can't interpret it's payload,
such as the example of operating on a packet trace. QUIC is extensible, we
should support people adding things to logs in advance of tooling catching
up.

Application protocols like HTTP/3 have even more flexibility and already
require connection state tracking.

Logging the bytes allows post-processing to fill gaps. Even if that means a
human digging through with a hex editor.

>> It would help to better understand the use case. How can debugging use
>> the value? Do we expect all tools to offer this and hence standardizing
>> something has value. If not, logging endpoints can always insert custom
>> fields into any element. And custom tooling can consume it.
>>

> From my perspective as an event producer, it's odd to have a frame which I
> can't log without inserting custom fields.
>
> Perhaps that's okay, but if so, I think qlog should define the expected
> behavior for producers logging uninterpretable ACK Delay fields.

This is a good suggestion. Per Marten's email, this is a facet of the QUIC
and we can provide some text to describe how to deal with it if it occurs.

Cheers
Lucas