From: Vidhi Goel <vidhi_g...@apple.com>
Sent: Thursday, 14 March 2024 23:17
To: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: martenseem...@gmail.com; quic@ietf.org; Ingemar Johansson S
<ingemar.s.johans...@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: Question on draft-seemann-quic-accurate-ack-ecn-00

Hello Ingemar,

Having been implemented Prague myself, this is mainly to get more accuracy
around doing increase for non-marked bytes during congestion avoidance.
Currently, we have no way of knowing that as we only know that some N packets
were not CE marked but we don’t know which ones.

If you see the example that I added in the draft, with the change proposed, an
implementor can exactly know which packet was received with which code point.
This way,  one can map the packet to packet size at the sender and accurately
compute non CE marked bytes. This is quite useful to do more accurate increase
for cwnd to stay closer to the link capacity without building any excessive
queues.

It may look like the change has subtle impact but with a large number of flows
sharing the bottleneck, it definitely has impact on how tightly we control the
increase in queuing delay.

Happy to discuss this during IETF.

Thanks,
Vidhi

On Mar 14, 2024, at 7:21 AM, Ingemar Johansson S
<ingemar.s.johansson=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:ingemar.s.johansson=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
 wrote:

Hi Marten + others

I read through the draft
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seemann-quic-accurate-ack-ecn/

Given that this adds more complexity than the default ECN counters, could you
elaborate a bit more around which partcular cases where it would be beneficial
with your proposed ECN feedback?

Regards
/Ingemar
=================================
Ingemar Johansson  M.Sc.
Master Researcher

Ericsson AB
GFTL ER Networks RNS Protocol & E2E Perf
Labratoriegränd 11
977 53, Luleå, Sweden
Phone +46-1071 43042
SMS/MMS +46-73 078 3289