On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 12:24 AM Lucas Pardue <lu...@lucaspardue.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> During the standardisation of QUIC, we made a lot of use of GitHub's wiki
> capabilities in the primary base-drafts repo that housed all drafts at that
> time [1]. This was a community effort. Everyone had write access and the wiki
> tracked the leading edge of development closely.
>
> Since the RFCs were published things have matured and stabilised. We've seen
> several new documents get adopted and worked on in their own repos. Yet the
> base-draft remained the spiritual centre of wiki, especially when it came to
> listing implementations or tools. Even if they weren't updated as frequently.
>
> Unfortunately, last year the wiki was vandalised and needed restoration. At
> the same time, to prevent further vandalism, we restricted access to wiki
> edits to GitHub accounts that had certain repo privileges. However, that's
> had the unfortunate effect of preventing useful grass roots contribution and
> maintenance. Further investigation into this area has indicated to me that
> the GitHub access control approach and UI for wikis is not suited to our
> regular ways of working: issues and pull requests from anyone, merges by
> authorised users only.
>
> The quicwg.org homepage is intended to be an easy-to-use hub for the QUIC WG.
> It's also powered by GitHub [2]. It links off to the wiki for some, but not
> all, content there.
>
> I'd like to propose that we migrate away from using GitHub wikis for all
> repositories in the quicwg org, towards using the quicwg.org pages. This is
> intended to improve the contribution and change process. It is hoped that
> this will also improve the discoverability of content on the wiki. During any
> migration, content will continue to reside on the wiki.
>
> I've already floated the idea in the QUIC slack, and the general sentiment is
> in support of doing the migration. So I'm opening up the proposal to a
> broader participant list. I'm especially interested if you have objections,
> or if you have thought or ideas about how best to migrate and present the
> content (especially if you'd like to volunteer on UI design or other related
> matters).

I believe that my attempt at contributing a minor typo fix was the
impetus for this email. Thank you for taking my attempt to "add value"
so seriously. Because I had a hand in bringing this issue to a head, I
wanted to

1. Nod in support of a migration, and
2. Offer to help with the technical aspects of the migration.

Please let me know if/how I can help!

Thank you, again, for bringing this discussion into the open!

Sincerely,
Will