Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:54:12 +0100
Subject: [evol-psych] Music binds people, animals

Music binds people, animals

Songs carry a deep, ancestral meaning
April 26, 2001

BY ROBERT S. BOYD
FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

WASHINGTON -- A taste for music goes back millions of years in evolution, long
before humans split off from our ancestral tree.

Using tools such as electronic brain scans and deep-sea microphones,
scientists
are discovering that animals such as birds, whales and apes create, perform
and
listen to music.

Their research casts new light on the origin of human language and culture,
and
helps explain why music has such a powerful emotional effect on people. They
have found that musical rhythms and tones are processed in the older, deeper
regions of the brain -- the parts humans share with our animal ancestors --
not
in the outer layers where higher functions like speech and thought reside.

Full text:
http://www.freep.com/news/nw/music26_20010426.htm

Ligia Parra-Esteban
Directora
Fundacion VOC de Investigacion de la Comunicacion Entre Cientificos.
Apartado Aereo 86745  Bogota.  Colombia.
http://www.mox.uniandes.edu.co/voc
Telefono (+) 571-6242075 Fax (+) 571-6139654 Zona Postal 1102
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Secretario Junta Directiva
Luis H. Blanco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Laboratorio de Investigaciones Basicas.
Bloque 9 Ciudad Universitaria.  Unidad Camilo Torres.