Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:14:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [evol-psych] Scientists find gene behind learning to talk

> THE INDEPENDENT
> Scientists find gene behind learning to talk
> By Steve Connor Science Editor
>
> The first gene to be linked to the human trait of language learning has
> been isolated by scientists who believe it could indicate new ways of
> treating children suffering from speech impairment.
>
> Scientists have long suspected that there are specific genes dedicated to
> speech ever since Charles Darwin, and later the linguist Noam Chomsky,
> noted the innate ability of children to learn a language.

Like most linguists, I am persuaded that our language faculty must have an
important genetic component.  It therefore seems strange that I should be
urging caution in accepting these reports.   But I am troubled.

First, it is hardly true that Darwin or Chomsky "noted" the innate ability
of children to learn a language.  Such innateness, if it exists, is not the
sort of thing that can be "noted".  Instead, it must be argued for, on the
basis of solid evidence.  Such evidence exists, but it does not derive from
the mere observation that children acquire a first language.  It derives
from other sources, and perhaps most especially from the careful study of
the *manner* in which children acquire a first language.  It is the
findings about the manner of acquisition which have persuaded so many
linguists that learning a first language is a feat very different from
learning to play the guitar, or learning to ice-skate, or learning to do
long division.

In spite of what is claimed in one of the other journalistic reports about
this work posted on the list, there have been earlier reports concluding
that particular genetic defects can be associated with particular language
disorders -- notably Specific Language Impairment (SLI) and the Williams
syndrome.  The first such reports concluded that the genetic defects
produced *only* linguistic consequences, and no other consequences
whatever.  But later work has challenged these conclusions, rather
successfully, by drawing attention to various non-linguistic disorders
associated with the presence of SLI and of the Williams syndrome.

Accordingly, the mere observation that a particular genetic defect has
predictable linguistic consequences does not suffice to permit the
conclusion that "there are specific genes dedicated to speech".  No doubt
there exist many genetic defects which have terrible consequences for the
sufferer's ability to play the guitar, or to ice-skate, or to do long
division.  But few observers would, from observing such consequences, draw
the conclusion that we have specific genes dedicated to ice-skating.

At the very least, the investigators must attempt to demonstrate that the
genetic defect they have identified has no consequences other than the
linguistic ones.  Maybe the investigators in this case have addressed this
issue, but I haven't had a chance to read the paper in Nature yet, and none
of the several journalistic reports I have seen mentions this -- though one
other report does at least assure us that the investigators are urging a
measure of caution in interpreting their findings, which I am glad to see.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phone: (01273)-678693 (from UK); +44-1273-678693 (from abroad)

Fax: (01273)-671320 (from UK); +44-1273-671320 (from abroad)

Ligia Parra-Esteban
Directora
Fundacion VOC de Investigacion de la Comunicacion Entre Cientificos.
Apartado Aereo 86745  Bogota.  Colombia.
http://www.mox.uniandes.edu.co/voc
Telefono (+) 571-6242075 Fax (+) 571-6139654 Zona Postal 1102
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Secretario Junta Directiva
Luis H. Blanco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Laboratorio de Investigaciones Basicas.
Bloque 9 Ciudad Universitaria.  Unidad Camilo Torres.