Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 4:19 AM
Subject: RE: COMUNICACION CIENTIFICA Y CODIFICACION COGNITIVA: TEORIA SOCIAL DE SISTEMAS Y SOCIOLOGIA DEL CONOCIMIENTO CIENTIFICO. 2
Dear Ligia:

Given our previous experience with this type of communication, we should perhaps be very modest with it. It may easily lead to spam-like communication. But I'll do as you ask and leave it to you to make the assessment:

Let us begin by differentiating some concepts.  What are you saying when you say Scientific Communication and Communication Among Scientists?

Scientists can communicate about anything, for example, about the quality of the coffee. Scientific communication is a specific form of communication that is the subject of the intention of quality control. I use the word "intention" because the quality control may fail, but a code of communication is operating in this type of communication which is different from other codes like, for example, the economic profit motive. This does not mean that scientific communications can sometimes at the same time enable communicators to make a profit, but that relation is not a necessary, but an empirical one: Some scientific communication can be used for patenting, others not. Etc.

Scientific communication is also not necessarily confined to institutional "scientists." Thus, scientists can communicate about non-scientific matters and non-scientists (e.g., amateurs) may be competent to participate in scientific communication.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Ligia Parra-Esteban.  Directora
Fundación Voc de Investigación de la Comunicación Entre Científicos.
http://mox.uniandes.edu.co/voc
Luis H.  Blanco.  Secretario de la Junta Directiva.
Laboratorio de Investigaciones Básicas.  Ciudad Universitaria.  Unidad Camilo Torres.  Bogotá.

Responder a