Another variant of what is probably the same issue:

    > setClass("foo", representation(a = "numeric"))
    [1] "foo"
    > f <- function() [EMAIL PROTECTED] <<- 2
    > x <- new("foo",a=1)
    > y <- x
    > f()
    An object of class “foo”
    Slot "a":
    [1] 2

    An object of class “foo”
    Slot "a":
    [1] 2

luke

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

If I have an S4 object, and I make a copy, changes to the original
aren't reflected in the copy:

> setClass("foo", representation(slot="numeric"))
> x <- new("foo", slot=1)
> y <- x
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <- 2
An object of class "foo"
Slot "slot":
[1] 1

This is as it should be.  However, if I call the slot assignment
function in a funny way, y *does* receive the changes:

> x <- new("foo", slot=1)
> y <- x
> assign("x", "@<-"(x, "slot", 2))
An object of class "foo"
Slot "slot":
[1] 2

This happens in the current R-devel in Windows, and R-patched too.

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status   Under development (unstable)
major    2
minor    2.0
year     2005
month    08
day      31
svn rev  35467
language R

Duncan Murdoch

Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science
   Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]