As I think Seth told  you before, if you want to control the order of
inheritance at the same level, you need to use the intended order in the
contains= argument to setClass.  In your example (retaining the class
union, although it's not required, the superclass could just be an
ordinary virtual class),

setClassUnion("C01OrC02")
##  C00 mother class to C01 and C02
setClass("C00", representation(a="numeric"), prototype =c(a=0))
setClass("C01", representation(a="numeric",b="numeric"),
         contains= c("C01OrC02", "C00"))
setClass("C02", representation(a="numeric",d="numeric"),
         contains= c("C01OrC02", "C00"))

seems to give what you want.

 > x1 + x2
[1] 5
 > extends("C01")
[1] "C01"      "C01OrC02" "C00"

To answer one of your other questions, the point about inheritance
asserting substitutability is that you now need to be sure that EVERY
method for C01OrC02 is preferred to a method for C00 for the new subclasses.

As a general design point, having these competing superclasses is likely
to confuse the user, if not the implementer.  If you could, it would
make a clearer picture to have, e.g., C01orC02 be a subclass of C00.
Then the inheritance is obvious--C01or... is a parent, while C00 is a
grandparent.   The special contains= then doesn't need to be repeated
for every subclass Cx.