On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm sorry to bother this list with such trivial questions, but I'm
trying to take Prof. Ripley's advice in porting some Lapack wrappers
into my own code, because they are not public.  I'm specifically
choosing programs from R-2.5.0/src/modules/lapack/Lapack.c.

I can't seem to understand the context in functions such as:

<snip>
        error(_("the leading minor of order %d is not positive
        definite"),
              i);
</snip>

in functions such as modLa_chol.  Is there some place I can look to
understand the usage of the underscore '_', or could someone explain
this to me?

This has to do with internationalization. It signifies that translations
are available for the error message, e.g. the file "de.po" in the R
sources has

#: src/modules/lapack/Lapack.c:629
#, c-format
msgid "the leading minor of order %d is not positive definite"
msgstr "der führende Minor der Ordnung %d ist nicht positiv definit"

The answer to 'where' is section 1.9 Localization in 'Writing R Extensions' or section 3.1 of 'R Internals'.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]