I have some compiled C code that I call from R, and I would like to
distribute this code as an R package through CRAN.  In the C code, I use the
gsl numerical libraries, mainly for the BLAS interface, some linear algebra
functions, and some optimization routines.  As I prepare this code to
conform to the specs for R packagtes, I am wondering if there is a
restriction on the use of external libraries in R packages, or am I limited
to those functions in the R API (or, in other words, do I need to convert my
gsl function calls to R API function calls)?  I have sifted through the R
documentation on this matter, but I could not find a clear answer.

And, on a related note, is there any documentation on the use of R API
functions, especially those listed in the Rinternals.h header?  Many of
these functions look like they might be useful, but I cannot find a
description of what they do, what the arguments are, and so forth.  Is
examining the source code directly the only way?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Braun
Assistant Professor of Marketing