Could it be connected with the fact that each R session creates an
Rtmp<smth> directory in tmp (at least on UNIX-alike) and that if started
simultaneously on machines with the same time stamp they might want to
use a directory with the same <smth>? It still does not explain the
behaviour much as, first, loading a package (with a shared object and
external dependencies) does not seem to cause creation of any files
there, and, second, I have never experienced such problems of our Linux
farm although there were situations where I launched about a hundred of
R session on a farm at the same time. Maybe the external library itself
uses this temp space and locks it?

Oleg