Hi Martin

Thanks for the detailed reply. I had a look at the matrix power
implementation in the actuar package and the modified version in the expm
package. I have a couple of questions/comments:

1. Firstly, I seem to have trouble loading expm.

> install.packages("expm",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org";)
trying URL '
http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6/expm_0.9-1.tgz
'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 149679 bytes (146 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 146 Kb
> library("expm")
Error in namespaceExport(ns, exports) : undefined exports :matpow
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'expm'

Possibly a namespace file issue? My version is:
platform       i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
arch           i386
os             darwin8.10.1
system         i386, darwin8.10.1
status
major          2
minor          6.1
year           2007
month          11
day            26
svn rev        43537
language       R
version.string R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)

2. On to the package implementation, I see we actually have very similar
implementations. The main differences are:

 i) For an exponent equal to -1, I call back into R for the solve() function
using eval() and CAR/CDR'ing the arguments into place. The actuar package
calls dgesv() directly. I suspect that the direct route is more efficient
and thus the more preferable one. I see that your implementation doesnt
calculate the inverse for an exponent of -1,is there a specific reason for
doing that?
ii) Regarding complex matrices: I guess we should have support for this, as
its not unreasonable that someone may do this, and it should be pretty easy
to implement. My function doesnt have full support yet.
iii) A philosophical question - where the the "right" place for the %^%
operator? Is it in the operator list at a C level along with %*% and the
like? Or is it in an R file as a function definition? I dont really have a
preference either way...have you an opinion on this?

Thanks
Rory