Hi Martin,

Martin Maechler wrote:
[...]
    BDR> Maybe, in which case running tools/link-recommended
    BDR> will fix it.  Works for me with the snapshot mentioned
    BDR> above.

Yes.

But also we know that we don't want to require that from people
working with the tarball.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons we use these tarballs for the
Bioconductor build system. They are a little bit more convenient
than pulling the source from svn.

The question remains why the automated build procedures ... that
I have setup and have been running for years, suddenly fail to put the *.tgz symbolic links into src/library/Recommended/ as they used to.

I don't know what OS this procedure is running on but maybe 'tar'
started to do some strange strings with symlinks after an OS
update/upgrade...

Thanks,
H.

--