On Aug 27, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Jonathan Wilner wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone succeeded in cross-compiling R to Linux on an ARM CPU?

Yes (although that questions leaves a lot of room for interpretation).

If so, can you share a little about your toolchain & build process?

It was fairly straight-forward to build R (like any other cross- compilation). The tricky part is to install packages (if you are truly cross-compiling on another architecture) which I solved by using multi- arch R (which contains both arm and the host architecture) and cross- compiling only the binaries (i.e. only packages with native code). That could probably be simplified, but I didn't have the time to do that.

Cheers,
Simon