It looks as if it is very related to the message I posted just some day ago ("Problem with standard generic methods in Matrix package").

Sylvain

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:12:48 +0200, Giles Hooker <gj...@cornell.edu> wrote:

I am developing a new R package and am now checking it for submission to
CRAN.

The some functions in the package make use of the sparse matrix routines
in the package 'Matrix'.

When these are loaded in R, they create no problems.

However, when running R CMD check, I run into the following error in executing the examples in a .rd file:

 >   DD = Matrix(diag(1,200),sparse=TRUE)
 >   tDD = t(DD)
 >
 > fres = FitMatchOpt(coefs=coefs,which=2,pars=pars,proc)
Error in t.default(DD) : argument is not a matrix
Calls: FitMatchOpt -> t -> t.default
Execution halted

The first two lines of the function FitMatchOpt are

   DD = Matrix(diag(1,200),sparse=TRUE)
   tDD = t(DD)

These were fine when given in the examples section of the .rd file directly. However, when defined within a function in the package, the lines cause an error.

Sparse matrices improve the computational efficiency of the routines I am developing and I would like to use them. But I'm not sure how I can get around this error.

Many thanks,

Giles Hooker