Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, bow...@gmail.com wrote:

Full_Name: Bob Bownes
Version: 2.9.2
OS: Solaris 10
Submission from: (NULL) (164.55.254.106)

The sed lines in src/unix/Makefile confuse the grep distributed with Solaris
that gets configured by ./configure.

Well, it calls sed not grep! Which version was that -- it works for me and for several others. I have SED = /usr/xpg4/bin/sed (see file Makeconf), and that is 'distributed with Solaris': perhaps you do not have it installed?

The danger of changing R to fix a broken OS tool is that the change may break on other people's tools -- better to fix the tool.

Is this a tool problem at all? The most common reason for separator breakage is that one of the substitution strings contains the separator.

E.g., the sed line may break if @rhome contains a colon, and after the fix it will break if it contains a comma...

Switching from a separator of ':' to a separator of ',' fixes the problem.

76,77c76,77
< @$(SED) -e "s:@rhome:$(rhome):" -e "s:@rincludedir:$(rincludedir):" \
<         -e 's:@libsprivate:$(STATIC_LIBR_PC):' \
---