This is my third attempt to send this message.  Hopefully this one will go
through.  If anybody got my previous attempts (one with 3 attached PNG
files and one with graph embedded in the message) I apologize for multiple
postings.

I tried to illustrate this possible bug by including screenshots but it
seems that these posts get blocked by something (r-devel-bounce?).  Below
I try to describe what happens in words.

I have been compiling patched and development versions of R regularly.  I
started compiling R-10.0 alpha a couple of days ago and I think I
discovered a bug in the "windows()" command.

Here is what is happening:.

1.  Just compiled the latest tarball.  Before doing this I updated the
R-tools to version 2.10 (includes jpeg-7).
2.  Compilation went fine and I successfully built and ran the Windows
installer.
3.  I also successfully ran "make check-all".
4.  I start R GUI and do "plot(1:10)".  Here is what I get:

The plot is missing bottom and right-hand side (both the axis and part of
the box).
The bottom is missing up to the third dot on the plot, i.e., the x-axis is
missing
together with the first three points.

5. When I go to File>Save As>Png... and go through the dialog box
(choosing a file name) I get the following GUI error:

A window pops up saying: "R for Windows GUI has encountered a problem and
needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience".  Closing this window causes R to
crash.

6.  When, before saving, I resize the graphics window with my mouse even
by a very small amount, the plot changes to its normal look (without
missing axes of plot.png) and I can save it with no problem.
7.  When I do the same thing in just compiled 2.9.2 everything works fine
and the plot (plot.png above) looks fine.
8.  I suppose, all this is related to the following result of the
"windows()" command:

I get a window with the upper left chunk of it being dark gray and the
remaining part, i.e.,
the bottom and the right-hand side being white.  The white portions
correspond to the missing
parts of the plot described in 4.  Again, resizing this window even
slightly, fixes the
problem -  the whole window becomes dark gray.

I am on the Windows XP SP2 machine.  Here is the output of R.version:

> R.version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status         alpha
major          2
minor          10.0
year           2009
month          10
day            07
svn rev        49971
language       R
version.string R version 2.10.0 alpha (2009-10-07 r49971)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Jaworski
518-1-01