On 10/22/2009 7:21 AM, Erich Neuwirth wrote:
Using todays freshly downloaded compiled version of R-2.10.0 beta
let me pose this question once again:

myconn<-textConnection("print(11*11)")
source(myconn)
produces
[1] 121
Warning message:
In source(myconn) : argument 'encoding = "native.enc"' will be ignored

So I get a warning about a default parameter value I did not use myself.
This is somewhat strange.
Up to 2.9.2 this warning did not show up,
and 2.9.2 also has the encoding parameter.

source(myconn,encoding="unknown")
does not produce a warning.

Will it remain like this?
I am asking because then I have to adapt a certain mechanism in RExcel.

I spent a little time looking into this yesterday, and it appears to have shown up quite a while ago (it was there in July builds, for instance). I will eventually track it down, but certainly not for 2.10.0.

Generally bugs are easier to find when they're fresh, which is why we ask people to try out the R-devel builds. In this case, it's obvious how to fix the bug, but I'd rather not do that until I see what the change that caused it was intended to do: I don't want to undo that.

Duncan Murdoch