Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
The subject line is untrue.

We recommend in 'Writing R Extensions' that you encode such characters as \uxxxx sequences, in this case "\u00b0". However, this is more likely to be a locale problem on the check server, as pgirmess checks out on my Mac. In fact, the top of the log is

# using R version 2.11.0 beta (2010-04-12 r51689)
# using session charset: ASCII
# checking for file 'pgirmess/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
# this is package 'pgirmess' version '1.4.4'
# package encoding: latin1

and you cannot reencode latin1 to ASCII ....

I don't know why you would choose to use something that makes your package fail on many Japanese or Greek or Russian systems, and of course in C locales. Plotmath is portable, and these days "\u00b0" is also pretty portable.

Thanks a lot. Strictly speaking, I did not choose: I was just not familiar with \uxxxx encoding, and will document on it now I have a good hint to start with...

Thanks again,

Patrick