Possibly more of a legal question than a technical development question, but
here goes.

In the doc\COPYRIGHTS file it is made clear that the intention is that you can
write R packages and distribute them under licenses not compatible with GPL, by
making the relevant header files available under the LGPL. This was an explicit
change that was made in February 2001, and allows for DLLs that require the API
header files for compilation and are linked against R.dll to not be "infected"
with the GPL.

However the Rembedded.h header file isn't included in the list in the
doc\COPYRIGHTS file, and the copyright statement in the Rembedded.h header file
lists the GPL and not the LGPL as the relevant license.

So it doesn't look like it is allowed that I be able to use the R invocation
API to launch R and embed it in my product (such as a new GUI, or integration
with another product) and ship that product under a license not compatible with
GPL? Is this correct? Or is it the intention that I be able to write a
commercial front-end of some kind for R?

Thanks!