On 08/09/2010 5:37 PM, Jeffrey Horner wrote:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Jeffrey Horner <jeffrey.hor...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:
 On 08/09/2010 1:21 PM, Jeffrey Horner wrote:
Hi all,

I'm setting up a development environment on Windows as the subject
implies. I've downloaded and installed Rtools211.exe (will upgrade
later when necessary) and I've also downloaded and installed mingw
with the help of mingw-get.exe.

I come from a UNIX development background, so I'm at the bash shell
prompt for just about every step in R extenstion development. Question
is what is an appropriate environment for Windows development. What
shell do you use? Do you use cmd.exe with the PATH variable set up by
Rtools? Do you use the sh.exe that comes with Rtools? I've found the
bash shell from MinGW to be a pretty close equivalent to bash on UNIX.
Do you use something else?

I've used the bash shell in Cygwin for quite a few years, but I've been
planning a switch to MSYS sometime.  Cygwin seems to have made some bad
decisions lately that make it harder and harder to work with.
This is great news! I don't know how I could survive without bash's vi
style editing and command completion...

Here's my PATH variable which sets the Rtools paths first, then MinGW:

horn...@hornerj-win ~
$ echo $PATH
/c/Rtools/bin:/c/Rtools/perl/bin:/c/Rtools/MinGW/bin:/c/localbin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lo
cal/bin:/c/Program Files (x86)/R/R-2.11.1/bin:/c/Program Files
(x86)/CollabNet/Subversion Client:
/c/Windows/system32:/c/Windows:/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.
0/:/c/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.8/miktex/bin

I'm going to follow the "R Installation ..." manual to compile R on
Windows and learn a bit about the build process. From there, I intend
to "port" some open source libraries that have support for being
compiled with MS VC++ over to MinGW.

From the MinGW bash shell, the R build went quite smoothly. However, I
did run into trouble with temporary files. I got around it by
specifying TMPDIR like so:

$ cd R_HOME/src/gnuwin32
$ TMPDIR=. /c/Rtools/bin/make all

I don't know if anything would go wrong, but I'd avoid putting your temp dir into the source tree. On my home machine I normally set R_USER to a Windows-style path (with backslashes), and that seems to work. On my work machine I think I set TMPDIR explicitly, but I forget what value I used.

If I didn't set TMPDIR, it would default to /tmp and the failure would
occur within the mkR target of R_HOME/share/make/basepkg.mk. For
reasons beyond me, the shell environment that's entered within the mkR
target has no notion of a root directory. Anyone else seen this?

I'm not sure you're using the write make procedure. Are you running make from within src/gnuwin32, so you get the Makefile there? It shouldn't try to use /tmp (but things might have changed recently).

Duncan Murdoch

Jeff

Aside from my PATH variable, are there other things about my
development environment I should be aware of?

Jeff