On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

On 16 January 2011 at 23:00, Xiaobo Gu wrote:
| Is it because of compiler campsites between R and PostgreSQL, R is
| compiled by GCC, while PostgreSQL from Enterprise DB is compiled by
| Microsoft Visual C ++.

So the usual recommendation is to build the matching library (here libpq)
with the same compiler, or get the commercial support you are paying for to
do it for you.

For what it is worth, I deal with one vendor at work where I made that
requirement and they had no issue complying / helping me with a MinGW /
Rtools-compatible library.  One of several reasons I like working with that
vendor.

And also for what it is worth, RPostgreSQL works for me on x64 Windows 7 compiled with the Rtools compilers and linked against the initial PostgreSQL 9.0 Windows x64 distribution (I've not tried the one you mentioned).

Where C (and not C++) is involved it should be possible to mix DLLs compiled by MinGW-w64 and MSVC, and this has been done extensively (after all a lot of Windows' own DLLs are compiled with MSVC, as are the Tcl/Tk binaries which are distributed with R).

Dirk

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk