On 3/23/2011 10:21 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Everything in the "inst" directory is moved up a level when it is
> installed.  So you shouldn't mention "inst" in its path.

I discovered this by error-and-trial.  ?system.file is mute on this.
Perhaps R-ext.pdf could make this explicit by saying

The R working directory for all vignette tests in R CMD
check is the installed version of the ‘doc’ subdirectory. Make sure all
files needed by the vignette
(data sets, . . . ) are accessible by either placing them in the
‘inst/doc’ hierarchy of the source
package, or using calls to system.file(),
*noting that the "inst" directory is moved up a level when it is
installed and should not be mentioned
in the path used in system.file().*

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.